Part 1 Pre-Processing Checks
1.1 Registering with the ATO for online submission
1. To report electronically to the ATO you may need to register for online services and may also require an AUSKey.
2. You may also need to download the ATO’s ECI software.
3. Alternatively, you can use the online version at the ATO’s Business Portal website:
4. Check ATO website for your obligations and date requirements
Important: Ensure employees have accurate and complete details. First Name, Last Name, TFN, Hire Date, Termination Date (if applicable), Birth Date, and an address record that is set as default.
1.2 Pay Runs
1. Navigate to Payroll > Payroll Records > Payrun Records. Sort by Pay Date and check that all Pay Runshave been processed correctly for the relevant date range. 1 July 2014 – 30 June 2015. Payments made outside of that date range will belong in a different year for PAYG payment summary purposes.
2. Look for any incomplete Pay Runs or test data. Use Rollback as required to remove any Pay Runs that should not be active. If a Pay run has an error or is stuck at a scheduled stage click view on the Pay Run and check theHistory Tab to see any potential error messages.
3. Check the Payslips tab of the Pay Run record to see the status of individual Payslips on that Pay Run. You may be able to use rollback or recalculate to correct the error and complete processing. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions/assistance in correcting errors.
Note: We recommend you do not Rollback any further than Approval as any errors should be able to be corrected at this stage. Rollback will impact All Payslips on that Pay Run.
Note: Pay Run Records added as YTD data would not necessarily need to be posted or paid. Pay Run Records that are at a stage prior to Payslips Processed will not necessarily contain complete data required including Tax and Super.
1.3 YTD Payslip Detail
1. If you have been using the module for less than the full year, and haven’t already done so, you may wish to add YTD Payslip Detail lines for the period prior to your first live Pay Run.
Note: This is not mandatory.
This will allow you to generate a single PAYG payment summary for each employee rather than issue two PAYG Payment Summaries (one from each system) or have to manually add the amounts together on a paper based PAYG Payment Summary.
Note: Please contact email@example.com for assistance if required.
Part 2 – Generating PAYG Payment Summaries
2.1 Company Setup
1. Ensure Company Details such as Address and ABN are complete so they can be sourced onto Payment Summary reports when generated. Setup > Company Information.
2.2 Employee Setup
1. Ensure each employee has accurate and complete details. First Name, Last Name, TFN, Hire Date,Termination Date (if applicable), Birth Date, and an address record that is set as default.
2.3 Generating PAYG payment summaries record
1. Go to the JCurve Payroll drop down.
2. Click PAYG Summaries.
3. Click Payment Summary Process.
4. Select New.
5. Complete all fields and click Save. (enter 001 for Branch number).
6. Payment Summary records will be generated by scheduled process. Click Refresh to see current status.
7. Once the scheduled process is complete the status will be Adjust. At this point you should review allPayment Summaries to ensure data is complete and correct. You may wish to toggle the view to check different alerts. ClickEdit on a Payment Summary record to manually adjust as required and Save.
8. If you have made any ETP (Employment Termination Payments) to employees you will see two summary lines for them, you will need to Edit the 2nd line to check that the correct Employment Termination Payment Code is displayed for them (click on field help for code definition). If no change is required click onCancel otherwise Save your change.
Note: You may need to manually Edit/Add amounts for Reportable FBT, Reportable Employer Super Contributions and others. Check NAT0046 on the ATO website for instructions on how to complete. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or require assistance.
3.0 Completing Manual Payment Summary Records
1. Once satisfied the Records are complete, transfer the data to the self-duplicating form and complete as per NAT 0046.
4.0 Self-print Payment Summaries and Electronic Lodgement
If you wish to provide Self-Print Payment Summaries to your employees you will also need to electronically lodge your Payment Summary annual report.
4.1 Generate Self-print Payment Summaries
1. Click on the Generate PDF button to generate and review self-print version.
Note: Generate PDF again if rollback is used.
4.2 Approve and Distribute
1. Click Approve and Distribute to schedule locking the records and finalise. Click Refresh until status shows Complete.
2. JCurve Payroll does not send out the Payment Summarys automatically to employees. Once the Approve & Distribute button is pressed, each employee line will contain the payment summary PDF so if you wanted to email each one you can click on that and save it locally, then email the PDF's from your email account.
4.3 Generate and upload Empdupe file
1. With the approve and distribute process now complete, click on the Export EmpDupe button.
2. Ensure details are complete and click on Generate (the file format is Notepad (default)). Then Save the file to your computer.
1. Start the ATO’s ECI software and navigate to Business >Payment Summary Report. Find the file on your computer and then Check File. File should be validated at which point you can click on “send file”.
2. If the file is not validated. Click on “view error file” to see error log for possible cause. You may need to rollback and correct the data before proceeding.
4.4 Using Electronic Media to Lodge Payment Summary report
- The ATO has a number of options for lodging electronic files via media. See ATO website for details.